The month of February is usually when we think of kindness and compassion. Talk to your child and help them to understand what it means to be kind. How does a person show that they are kind?
*be kind to others
*use kind words
*cooperate with others
*respect the thoughts and feelings of others
*be a friend to someone in need
Praise your child when a kind action is done by them without being told. Remind them how proud you are of their actions and their kind spirit!
Kindness is Contagious!
Mandated Reporter for Volunteers
Our guidance lessons during the month of September will focus on responsibility, integrity, and making good decisions. Being responsible and having integrity means that we do the right thing even when no one is looking. We do the right thing just because it is right, and not because we will get credit or praise for doing it. As parents, we often struggle in teaching our children how to be responsible and what taking responsibility for their actions means. I thought I would share some information for those of you who might be interested in some extra tips on how to raise responsible children.
10 Ways to Raise a Responsible Child
- Positive Promotions™
- Establish family rules and be consistent in consequences when they are not followed.
- Give chores to do, appropriate to your child’s age.
- Provide opportunities for choices.
- Praise your child for completing responsibilities. This will boost your child’s self-esteem.
- Teach good health and safety habits. Children need to learn to care for themselves.
- Make it your child’s responsibility to get all homework done on time.
- Help your child get organized. Teach them to keep all school work in one place and write down assignments.
- Divide big task into smaller parts, so that success will encourage your child to tackle new responsibilities.
- As your child matures, offer ways to earn, save, and manage money.
- Encourage concern for the feelings and needs of others in your family and community.
Children learn by what they see and hear.
* Set a good example *Act responsibly